Sunday, October 02, 2005

Peter's Vision and Deer for Dinner

I killed a deer today. I asked the butcher to make filets out of the tenderloin and make the rest into burger (2 part deer to 1 part sausage because deer meat is so lean). I thank God for the deer I killed. When I am in my tree stand I sometimes think about Peter's vision in Acts 11. Acts 11.5 " ... in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. 6 I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. 7 Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'" Today I killed a deer and Wednesday I will eat it. Native Americans used to pray for the spirit of deer when they killed it. I don't do that but I do pray to God and thank him for the thrill of the hunt and taste of the meat.

No comments: