Thursday, October 20, 2005

Blinded by the Bible

As strange as it may sound, people can be blinded by the Bible. That’s what Jesus said to the Pharisees of his day. John 5.39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life. Amazing! They diligently study it and meticulously obey it but Jesus was standing before them and they did not recognize him. That’s what legalism does – it blinds you to Jesus. The Bible is not an end in itself. It points to someone greater than itself. It points to Jesus. The law condemns. Jesus saves. So study it diligently and obey it meticulously but with no idea that it will give you life. The Bible is the X-ray – it reveals our sin and then points to the Great Physician – Jesus our Savior. Father, Open my eyes so that I can see the wonderful things in your word. Make me hungry for it. Then fill me up. Let me see Jesus on every page. Amen!

No comments: