Thursday, October 13, 2005

Can I lick the bowl?

Ephesians 3.17-19 And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. The depth and width and length and height of God’s love are too wonderful to understand. It is beyond our comprehension. One morning, when Amber was little, we were making pancakes together and I had one of those “my-little-girl-is-growing-up” moments. She was stirring the pancake batter and talking so big. She looked at me with her big eyes. Her long hair was flowing over her red flannel pajamas. She looked so beautiful. I said, “Amber, I love you so much. I wish could explain it. You are growing up so fast. I just want you to know that you are always going to be my little girl. I love you more than I can explain.” Amber stopped stirring the batter and looked up me. She said six words I’ll never forget. She said, “Daddy, can I lick the bowl”. She didn’t understand. But that was OK. I just laugh really big, squeezed her tight, and we ate the pancakes. The love of a father is larger than the comprehension of a child. Our heavenly Father tells us but we can’t fully comprehend his love – it’s too wonderful to understand. But that's OK - he just smiles and squeezes us tighter. Nothing can ever separate us because his love is so passionate.

1 comment:

John McGuire said...

Hey Jeff! Great story. 6 words, not 7. Had to be a stickler ;-)