Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Children are like wet concrete

Ann Ortlund said children are “wet concrete.” When I read that I called my friend Jim Galloway because he is in the concrete business. Jim emailed me this description … “Concrete has 4 main ingredients - Sand, Gravel, Cement and Water. When combined these ingredients will set up (harden) - this is an exothermic chemical reaction. Concrete arrives on the job in a liquid state. You pour it to form the foundation of a house. In 90 minutes it reaches a state known as the “initial set” – it begins to thicken like play-do inside with a semi-rigid outer shell. At 240 minutes it reaches its “final set”. The strength of concrete is measured in pounds per square inch (psi). In about 7 days it reaches 75% of its targeted design strength. The other 25% occurs at 28 days. Concrete is theorized to continue to gain strength indefinitely if placed in the right environment.” Now I know why Ann Ortlund said children are like “wet conrete.” They arrive soft, pliable and moldable. You have about 18 years to do your job – to pour the foundation of their life. Actually, you don’t have that long. In the first seven years they reach their initial set. That’s why Saint Francis Xavier said “Give me your children for the fist seven years and you can have them for the rest of their lives.” During the first seven years they learn core beliefs like “Jesus is Lord; I am loved; I am wanted; I can trust; Relationships work; I am honest; I am capable; I can succeed.” After the first seven years you are simply refining the foundational work that has already been poured in the life of your child. At the age of 18 they need to reach their “final set” and they are on their own. If they stay in Christian environment they will continue to gain strength indefinitely.

No comments: