Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Property Laws of a Toddler

No one taught me to be selfish. I was born selfish. I am sinful by nature and by choice. Now, I don't want to sin. I want to do good but sin is in my members. Even when I try to do good sin trips me up. That's why I have to die to myself so that Jesus can live in me. But it is hard to stay dead. I've been struggling with sin all my life, since I was a toddler. My sinful nature was evident at an early age. Deb Lawrence listed 10 property laws of toddlers** which illustrate this point. 1. If I like it, it's mine. 2. If it's in my hand, it's mine. 3. If I can take it from you, it's mine. 4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine. 5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way. 6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine. 7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine. 8. If I saw it first, it's mine. 9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine. 10. If it's broken, it's yours. I've seen these laws at work in the lives of children. I've seen them at work in my own life. Lord Jesus help me. I don't want to be self-centered and selfish, but I am. Help me to die to myself. Live in me! Amen _____________________________________ **Deb Lawrence, Missionary to the Philippines with SEND International, quoted in Prokope, November/December, 1992, p. 3.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post comes just in time, when I am thinking about ways to teach my toddler girl:) --Berlin

Unknown said...

Berlin, Faith and Frank are beautiful Children. You have a wonderful family. - Jeff