Friday, December 02, 2005

The Next Time You See A Homeless Person

J.D. Tant was scheduled to preach a revival in Tennessee on Sunday but he arrived the Wednesday before. He was unshaven and dressed in overalls. He looked like a homeless man and no one recognized him. Tant asked people for food and tried to find a place to stay. The church turned him away. On Sunday morning the old bum showed up for church but no one had seen the preacher. As they began the service a man explained to the congregation that Brother Tant had not arrived. Just then, from the back pew, Tant walked down the isle in overalls and said “I was hungry and you did not feed me. I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink. I needed clothes and you did not clothe me. I was a stranger and you did not take me in.” At this, he mounted the pulpit to preach his first sermon for the revival. That’s the way Jesus came. He came to his own but they did not receive him. The next time you see a homeless person remember the passage below. Matthew 25.35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
You must also keep in mind, today there are alot of sick individuals in society. How does a person convey this to our children without putting them at risk (sexual predators, drug and alchol exposure). Annie would have us bringing home the homeless man at the foot of the 6th street bridge every day. But if I pass in my truck during the day and he has his, will work for food sign out and I stop and offer him work will he get in and work? I've had no takers yet. So how do I teach them to take people in, offer to feed them, give them shelter and not risk hurting the most precious things in my life.

Jim

Unknown said...

I don't know. It is risky. I am like you - very protective of my children. There is no pat answer that fits all situations. But I know your heart Jim. I know you help a lot of people e.g., the men who work for you - you bail them out of trouble. Your kids see you do good things for people and that is great. I suppose we need to pray about it and ask God to guide us. There are a lot of needy people and Jesus wants us to help them but not at the expense of the life of our children.

However, that's exactly what God did. He risked the life of his only Son Jesus. There were a lot of sick people who crucified him. That is amazing love! I love people but there is no way I could give one of my children to die for them. But God did. Since he loved us like this we will love other people.

So I believe you are right. Protect your family and help as many people as you can.