Saturday, December 03, 2005

Love Jesus More than Your Family

We were watching the Matthew videos. Tori was listening intently when Jesus said, "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10.37). Tori asked, “Daddy, do you love Jesus more than me?” I said, “Yes. If we love Jesus best we will love each other better. Do you understand?” Tori shook her head and said, “When we love Jesus infinity we can love each other 100%.” I said, “That’s exactly what it means.” C.S. Lewis put it like this: "When I learn to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now. In so far as I learn to love my earthly dearest at the expense of God or instead of God, I shall be moving towards the state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest at all. When first things are put first, second things are not suppressed but increased."

No comments: