Friday, December 30, 2005

Bargaining with God

Leroy demanded a bicycle from his dad. He threw a temper tantrum when his dad said, “Leroy, we don’t have the money to buy you anything you want. Go to your room and write a letter to Jesus.” Leroy went to his room. He pouted and cried. Then he wrote this letter: Dear Jesus, I’ve been a good boy this year and I would appreciate a new bike. Your friend, Leroy He knew this was not true so he ripped up the letter and gave it another try. Dear Jesus, I’ve been an OK boy this year. I want a new bicycle. Yours truly, Leroy Leroy knew this wasn’t totally honest either so he tore it up and tried again. Dear Jesus, I’ve thought a lot about being a good boy this year. Can I have a new bike? Leroy Leroy looked down in his heart (which was what his dad was trying to get him to do) and he crumbled up that letter and trashed it. He was sort of depressed. He went outside and wondered about aimlessly. He finally found himself in front of a Catholic Church - a huge cathedral with a great big cross on top. He wondered in the church and began looking at all the statues. He had never seen so many statues in his life. Suddenly, he grabbed a small statue of Mary and ran home and hid under his bed. Then he wrote this letter. Jesus, I’ve broken most of the 10 commandments, I have shot spit wads in school, tore up my sisters Barbie doll and lots more. I’m desperate. I’ve got your momma. If you ever want to see her again give me a bike. Leroy This story makes me smile. It reminds me of James 4.3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. Do you ever bargain with God? Have you ever promised God that if he will do this you will do that? When you pray make sure you check your motives. When God answers your prayer be sure to accept his answer. If God says “Yes” then give thanks him. If he says “No” give thanks anyway. You might not understand it now but in time you will learn that God knows what is best for you.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Jeff, you always came up with awesome stories, that have meanings so strong and can reach levels of all people! Keep up the awesome job you are doing!

http://anunsurepurpose.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thank you Jesse! Great to hear from you. Tell everyone I said hi.
Love
Jeff