Saturday, November 12, 2005

My Sinful Nature and the Holy Spirit

Galatians 5.16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature . Nothing good lives in me i.e., my sinful nature. All it knows how to do is sin. It’s a law at work in my body. It attracts sin like a magnet. I don’t want to sin but I do. Even when I try to do good sin trips me up. My sinful nature is wretched. It cannot be tamed. It cannot be converted. It must die. I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live. Christ lives in me by his Spirit. The Holy Spirit moves us to follow God's decrees and to be careful to keep his laws. When I live by the Spirit I do not gratify my sinful desires. The Spirit moves me, prompts me, comforts me, enlightens me, strengthens me, and santifies me. He does all these good things for me. His purpose is to glorify Jesus. He does this by gradually transforming my mind and behavior so that I look like Jesus. When I sin I am living by my own nature but when I do good it is not really me doing it, its Christ living in me. There are periods of time when I keep in step with the Spirit. During these times I don't feel the urge to sin. I love it when it happens. There are also periods of time when I feel strong urges to sin. When this happens I pray God will help me to die to myself so that Jesus can live in me.

No comments: