Wednesday, November 09, 2005

How Would You Spend It?

The length of our days is seventy years— or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away. Psalm 90.10 Time is a precious commodity. I believe it's more valuable than money. If you spend money you can make more but when you spend time it's gone for good. Ever said "I wish I could win the lottery?" Let's suppose you won $25,550, how would you spend it? How long would it last? It sounds like a lot of money but it isn't. It would not last long. If you live to age 70 you have 25,550 days. It sounds like a lot of time but it isn't. It doesn't last long. Much of it is spent doing little things. The average American will spend… • Six months sitting at stoplights • Eight months opening junk mail • One year looking for misplaced objects • 2 years unsuccessfully returning phone calls • 4 years doing housework • 5 years waiting in line • 6 years eating (survey of 6000 people polled in 1988, U.S. News and World Report, Jan. 30, 1989, p. 81) I will be 43 this month. If the Lord lets me live to age 70 I only have 9,855 days left to spend. It goes fast. I'm trying to make it count. My goal is to spend it serving Jesus, my family and other people (and I want spend some of it hunting deer). How would you spend it?

No comments: