Saturday, November 26, 2005

God Answered My Prayer - I Killed an Eight Point Buck

God gave me success. I prayed for an 8 point buck and he heard my prayer. I hunted in Mason County WV on my brother-in-law’s farm. Bob and his dad Bob Sr. allowed me to hunt there and I’m grateful to them – I had a great day. I saw two dozen turkeys and 13 doe. Then, at 2:30pm, two 8 points came across the field. I took the one with the largest rack. It was a 160 yard shot with iron sights on a borrowed gun (it was my nephew's [Todd Meadows] 30-30 Winchester). The buck stopped broad sided. I hesitated and whisper a prayer “God, I can’t do it without a scope. Lord, please help me shoot him. Guide the bullet.” I pulled the trigger and the deer dropped where I shot him. I know that God guided that bullet because it was a perfect shot to the heart. I could not have done it myself with iron sights – he did it. I know he did because I prayed in the spirit a of David – a prayer too long and passionate for me to explain. But it happened exactly like I prayed. Exactly! When I reached the deer and saw his rack I got down on my knees and thanked the Lord. I held my riffle up. I lifted my hands. I was in the middle of the field with no one around. I shouted “Thank you! Thank you Lord! You did it. You answered my prayer. He’ll make a great mount! In the name of Jesus I thank you!” Then I started laughing and saying “Yes! Yes!” It took me 3 hours to drag him to my car and it was worth every step. I will never forget today. I’ve hunted hard since August. Every chance I got I was in the woods scouting, building tree stands, taking corn to my feeder, and hunting. If I wasn’t in the woods I was thinking about it. This has been a great seasons. I’ve killed four deer this year – our freezer is packed! In fact, we are going to have to use mom’s and Jeanie’s freezer. Today was a great way to end the season. Gun in Ohio season starts Monday but I can’t hunt because I’ve bagged my limit. I thank God for the thrill of hunting deer and I can’t wait till next year. I told God I was going to brag on him. I think God is pleased when we put him in the center of our recreation. What do you love to do? Tennis? Biking? Golf? Some other sport? Try this – focus your thoughts on Jesus and invite him to participate in everything you do. Tell him what trophy you want and ask him to give it to you. Tell him you will brag on him when he does it. Then be patient. I came out of the woods empty handed more often than not. But be patient. He will give you the desires of your heart and then shout to the Lord in the middle of your field. Show him you love to play with him at the center. I believe God likes us to approach him with these simple enjoyments. I want my kids to involve me in their recreation (volleyball, basketball) and I cheer for them as they play and celebrate when they win. I think God feels the same about his children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff - Is it really fair to the deer population, if you are getting devine intervention in the massacre of little bambi?

Unknown said...

This deer was not little bambi. He was bambi's big uncle. He mistreated bambi so I took care of him!