Friday, June 23, 2006

Speaking in Pike County

Today I provided six hours of training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for counselors at the Pike County Recovery Council. It went well. This was my fourth training and I'm scheduled to do four more trainings over the next year. They asked me to do an outcome study. The study begins in July and will last for one year. I believe we are ready. Today the counselors demonstrated their abilities in using CBT. The training I provide is interactive. I teach concepts and techniques. This is followed by having the counselors practice it using role play. We review and rehearse it until they know how to do it. The counselors I'm training are fast learners. They are very good people. Many are Christians. You would be surprised at how freely they talk about Jesus. It's really different from previous mental health settings I have worked in. Anyway, we are doing pre-post assessments using standardized measures. I'm excited about the study. And something else happened. Another agency, which provides mental health services to adolescents, asked me to come train their therapist. I thank God for these opportunities. When I think about where I was 3 years and 8 months ago and compare it to today - it's a miracle. God brought me out of the pit and sit me on a rock. I praise him tonight! I love you Jesus! I love what I'm doing and I am so grateful. I know these opportunities are gifts from God and I am so thankful.

No comments: