Thursday, June 01, 2006

Memorizing the Sermon on the Mount

This week I’ve been memorizing the Sermon on the Mount. I plan to quote it this Sunday. It only takes about 20 minutes to preach but it takes me a long time to memorize it. I’ve done it before. I think it was 1992. It’s been a long time. I could still quotes sections of it but now I’m “re-memorizing” it. I copied Matthew 5, 6, 7 from my Bible and I’ve worn it out. I read it over and over aloud. Then I did memory work on sections of the sermon. I use “memory beads”, sticks, rocks, and my fingers to count. I repeat each section ten times until I can say each section without many mistakes. I tape my self and then listen to the tape while reading the sermon. I highlight words, phrases and sentences that I missed and do the same memory exercises ten times over again. At this point I can quote chapters 5 and 6. I've still got a ways to go. I typically walk while I’m memorizing. When I finish a section or a chapter I drop a bead or break a stick or drop a rock until I’ve done it ten times. I quote it over and over until I get dizzy then I take a little break and do it over again. I wish I could find a short cut to memory work but this is the only way I know how to do it. I like to do this memory work in the cemetery across the street from the church. Jeanie has walked with me a couple of times. When I make a mistake she corrects me. I also quoted chapter 5 to mom this morning while we were waiting for folks to show up at the food pantry. It helps to have others listen and correct me when I make mistakes. Distractions are a problem. A dog can run across the cemetery or a person can walk by and I get distracted. I have to overcome this because there will be all kinds of movement in the assembly this Sunday. I hope I can do it without drawing a blank or experiencing some uncomfortable pause because I forget some part of it. There have been several wonderful moments of worship this week. At times, I remember all of chapter 5 and 6. And as I quote the sermon I feel so alive in the Spirit. I’m spellbound by Jesus’ words. Sometimes, before I quote it, I pray “Lord, live in me. Speak through me. Let me say it like you said it.” It’s the greatest sermon ever heard. I hope I do a good job this Sunday. I hope I can remember it and that the people will see and hear Jesus.

2 comments:

Bill Williams said...

Jeff,

Your thoughts here are both instructional and inspiring. Makes me think of the story I've heard many times through the years.

Way back in the olden days, before radio and TV, communities held "readings". Folks would gather to listen to different individuals spin their yarns and recite poetry and Scripture.

On one occasion a finely dressed you many walked to the front of the gathering and flawlessly quoted Psalm 23. The gathering was amazed! Someone was heard to say, “He really knows that psalm.”

A bit later, another man—a man clothed in clean but somewhat scruffy coveralls—stepped to the front of the room. He paused briefly. The expression on his seemed to speak peace, though he had not yet uttered a single syllable. He quoted Psalm 23 flawlessly. As he was making his way back to his seat someone was heard saying, “He really knows the Shepherd.”

It sounds to me, dear brother, as though you really know and love the Savior. You will, no doubt, do a great job with the Sermon on the Mount.

Grace to you,
-bill

Unknown said...

Thank you Bill.