Monday, September 19, 2005

Watching My Girls Play Volleyball and Basketball

I love watching Amber play volleyball for the Middle School Team. She had a great game tonight. They won. Even more, she played great! It will not be long before Tori, Shayna and Amber will be playing basketball again. Basketball season is just around the corner. Mom, Dad (that’s me), Jeanie, Allen, Grandma, and their classmates will be in the bleachers cheering them on. I get a little nervous when my girls are on the court. I want them to do well. I feel myself move when the ball comes their way. It’s as if I am helping them hit the ball or make the shot. But all I can really do is cheer and smile. If they are not satisfied with a particular play I encourage them to forget it. I teach them to mentally rehearse all the good plays that they made. And when the game is over I give them a great big hug and kiss and take them home. I love them so much. This must be how our heavenly Father feels about us. He wants us to do well but our performance “on the court” has nothing to do with our position in His family. When we do well heaven applauds. When we mess up we are forgiven. God doesn’t want us to mentally rehearse our failures. He wants us to fill our minds with things that are true and right and excellent and praiseworthy so we can have peace. And when the game of life is over he will take us home. He loves us so much.

No comments: