Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My new hermeneutic is called S.P.A.C.E. P.E.T.S.

I have adopted a new hermeneutic called S.P.A.C.E. P.E.T.S. I picked it up from Warren's 301 class. He didn't propose it as a new hermeneutic but it's better than the one I have been using (i.e., command, example, inference). Today, when I read the Bible asked nine S.P.A.C.E. P.E.T.S. questions. I ask - "Is there a(n) ..." Sin to confess? Promise to claim? Attitude to adopt? Command to obey? Example to follow? Prayer to pray? Error to correct? Truth to accept? Something to do? This one is working better for me than the old one. Try it out and see if it works for you. Select a chapter from the Bible, read it two times and ask these nine questions. It is simple enough to remember. It is broad enough to cover any genre of Scripture (e.g., poetry, history, parables, metaphors, allegories, sermons, apocalyptic and wisdom literature, letters of correspondence, as well as the law sections of the Bible). It is personal enough to help me know Jesus better - it's like I'm asking the Holy Spirit nine questions (and typically more questions follow). S.P.A.C.E. P.E.T.S. is my new hermeneutic.

No comments: