Tuesday, July 12, 2005

If you don’t talk to yourself your self will start talking to you

Romans 6.11 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. The word “count” means to consider. Believe it! You are really dead to sin and alive to God in Christ. Count on it. Think about it. Talk to yourself when you are tempted to sin. Say to yourself, “I died to my sinful nature. I can’t live this way anymore. I am a new person with a new life. I belong to Jesus.” You must to go on pressing yourself and talking to yourself saying “I know who I am. I am God’s child.” Keep talking to yourself. Be vigorous and relentless in your thought life. Consider yourself dead to sin. Talk out loud if you have to! I have become increasingly aware of the power of thoughts through my training and clinical experience with Cognitive Behavior Therapy. When I am upsetting myself with disturbing thoughts I sometimes say aloud “Tell me something good.” Most of the time this is an automatic response and I’m not aware I am doing talking out loud. It is kind of weird if you are standing beside me. I had to explain it to my children but they still think it’s a little strange. The other day I was upsetting myself with worrisome thoughts and I said “Tell me something good.” Shayna overheard me and said, “I love you Dad.” I said, “Thank you Shayna that is something really great for me to think about.” If you don’t talk to yourself your self will start talking to you. Your old self will start saying things like “It’s really not that bad. Other people do worse things. Nobody will find out. God will forgive me. It’s all under grace.” These thoughts will make you vulnerable to sin. So take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10.5). If you don’t think by design you will think by default and your old sin nature will take over your heart and mind. That’s why your have to count yourself dead to sin.

No comments: