Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Baptism of Paul Harvey

Years ago the Guidepost Magazine printed an article titled “My Quiet Heart.” In the article, the famous radio legend Paul Harvey described his baptism. I liked it. Maybe you will too. Paul Harvey writes … “Seemingly, I had everything for which a man could ask. Everything, that is, except a quiet heart. Something was missing. This emptiness was still within. March of last year Angel and I were vacationing in Arizona, and one Sunday morning decided to attend services in a small church on a hilltop. Inside were a dozen or so worshipers on wooden, folding chairs, a scene reminiscent of ones I had seen many times as a youth. ... The minister preached about baptism, and my attention began to focus on the simple eloquence of this country preacher. I twisted in my chair. "Submission to God" the minister said. He asked those who wanted to be baptized to join him. I found myself by his side. The preacher said there was nothing magical about the water. Yet as I descended into its depths and rose again, I knew something life-changing had happened. A cleansing inside and out. No longer were there two Paul Harveys – just one happy one. I felt the fulfilling surge of the Holy Spirit. Afterward I cried like a baby. I looked at Angel and her eyes were shining. The change in my life since this simple act has been indescribable.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a beautiful and deeply honest story about a simple baptism........

paul sullivan 11814 st charles blv

d. little rock arkansas 72211

ronportzer@ said...

A true legend! A humble spirit. Look forward to meeting you in heaven!