Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You’ll see it when you believe it

Thomas said "I won't believe it until I see it." Then, some time later, Jesus appeared through a wall and said “Peace be with you!” Thomas touched his wounds, fell to his knees and said “My Lord and my God!” Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." I’ve never touched his wounds but I can see his wounds. I see him right now. I can see a man in heaven. A man. The God-Man. He is the only mediator between God and man, the Man, Jesus Christ. I can see him because I believe him. I approach him with fear. But I’m not afraid. I’m not like our Jewish ancestors who approached Sinai. They were terrified but I’m not. Because there are no volcanic blasts, no earthquakes, no earsplitting God-words, no loud trumpets that make me cover my ears. It’s not like that at all. It’s inviting. It’s beautiful. Yet, I am filled with awe and fear so I bow low. I say “My Lord and my God!” Then I look up and what do I see? Mount Zion. The city of God. The invisible Jerusalem. I see thousands and thousands of angels rejoicing and praising God. They say “Holy! Holy! Holy! Is the Lord Almighty.” They sing and shout, “Glory! Glory! Glory! To the Lamb that was slain!” It is loud as thunder. I worship. I see my sin. I repent. I beg forgiveness. I am cleansed by his blood. I feel his joy and power. I say, “Here am I. Send me. I’ll preach. I’ll serve. Use me.” I’m back. No angels. No throne. Just a desk. A laptop. A cell phone charging. A couple of books. My wife, children and dog are all asleep. I feel good. Have you ever taken a little trip like the one I just described? It doesn’t take long. It’s worth the journey. It’s one of the ways I worship. You say, “Jeff, you didn’t really see Jesus. You didn’t really see angels praising God.” Yes I did. I can see the unseen when I fix my mind on things above where Christ is seated. You can too. You’ll see it when you believe it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent post, Jeff.