Friday, March 10, 2006

Don't Blame God for Temptations

God may test you and he may allow you to go through trials to strengthen you but he will never tempt you to sin. So when you are tempted don’t blame God. An overweight preacher announced to his staff that he was going on a diet but the very next morning he showed up a church with a dozen donuts and two of them had already been eaten. His secretary said, “I thought you were going on a diet.” He said, “I was but it is not God’s will.” She said, “How do you know?” He said, “Well, I always drive by the bakery and I was so hungry this morning that I prayed ‘God, if its not your will for me to eat any donuts don’t let there be a parking space in front of the bakery.’” He said, “Sure enough, the eighth time around the block there was a place right there in front.” We sometimes blame God for our sins. God asked Adam, “Why did you eat the forbidden fruit?” Adam said, “The woman that you created gave it to me.” People say things like … “I met a woman and the chemistry was between us was so strong that we couldn’t resist it because that’s the way God made us.” “I can’t help being homosexual because that’s the way I was born.” “I can’t control my anger because God made me with a short fuse.” “It’s not my fault that I’m an alcoholic, it’s in my genes.” God didn’t buy that line of reasoning from Adam and he’s not impressed with it today. God is not directly, indirectly or even remotely associated with our sins. James 1.13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. It is important to accept full responsibility for our sins. Don't blame God or anybody else. When you sin say, "I am responsible. It was my fault. I repent." Then pray for forgiveness.

No comments: