Wednesday, March 22, 2006

We Are Marshall (The Allen Meadow’s Story)

They’re making a movie about my brother-in-law, Allen “Iron-head” Meadows. Yes, it’s true. Warner Brother’s is in the process of making a movie called “We Are Marshall.” The cast includes big Hollywood stars like Matthew McConaughey. The movie is about events following the 1970 plane crash that killed members of the Marshall football team, along with most of its coaching staff, sports commentators and many of its local boosters. In 1970 the pride of Scott High School Football was Allen Meadows. He was our hometown hero. I knew him well because my sister Jeanie dated and married him. Allen was recruited by several universities but he chose to play for Marshall. Allen started for the 1971 team and played four years for Marshall. He was an outstanding athlete. Strong as an ox. A wild man on the field. Allen became the captain of the Thundering Herd. I hope the movie producers capture Allen’s character and show what an important role he played in leading the team. We are all very excited. No one is more excited than Jeanie and Allen and their two sons Eric and Todd (along with Angie and Theresa). I can’t wait! It’s going to be great.

3 comments:

Jim Gardner said...

Jeff,

That is great! I love Allen and Jeannie so much and have always had so much respect for them. I, like you, hope the producers can capture Allen's personality. I can't wait for that movie!

Jim

Larry Chouinard said...

Wow, I can say I knew Alan before his Hollywood fame. I know he will always remember where he came from. Congratulations Alan and I look forward to the movie.

Anonymous said...

Wow, we didn't know that we were in the presence of greatness:) Berlin