Saturday, March 04, 2006

I love my AA Meetings

I love my AA meetings. When I walk into the clubhouse its kind of like walking into Cheers, where everybody knows your name. Even though I’m early in recovery (I have 3 years, 4 months, and 14 days of sobriety), they call on me just like an old timer. Some of the “real” old timers have over 20 years and speak like statesmen. But I get something from everyone. I learn from the old timers and from the fellow who is there for the first time. They remind me that recovery must remain my highest priority. For me, everything depends on maintaining sobriety so I need to be reminded. I need to hear it over and over again. I need the steps and the traditions and the slogans and the catchy little statements like, “I’m here because I’m not all there,” and “10% is what happened and 90% was my reaction to it,” and “God can’t steer a parked car,” and “one drink is too many and a thousands not enough,” and “But for the grace of God.”

2 comments:

Lee Hodges said...

Your life and example gives me hope for a brother in the congregation where I worship. He fell again a couple weeks ago and is struggling with what others will think if he comes back again. Hundreds wait without judgement to receive him, but he is beating himself up for failing again.

How hard it is to accept the wonderful grace from the Father. How easy it is to forget that the Jesus that required 70 X 7 forgiveness, also practices it when we fall and return.

Unknown said...

Lee,
I'm so glad he has you as a pastor and friend. You will show him Jesus.
Love,
Jeff