Friday, December 28, 2007

Preparing for 2 Corinthians

I am preparing for my next series in 2 Corinthians around the theme "Maintaining Healthy Relationships." My teachers are Scott Hafeman (2 Cor. - NIV Application Commentary), Kent Hughes (2 Cor. - Power in Weakness), John MacArthur (The MacArthur NT Comentary 2 Cor), Aida Spencer (Daily Bible Commentary: A Guide for Reflection and Prayer), Charles Hodge (Commentary on 2 Cor - this commentary belonged - I love to read it because I can see the parts that dad highlighted and underlined) Ray Stedman (Exposition of 2 Cor: Power Out of Weakness) and John Piper (who has several online manuscripts on 2 Cor). I just recieved my commentaries in the mail today. It's like opening up boxes of candy. It's exciting for me. I have been reading and re-reading 2 Corinthians and now I get to enroll in six courses on 2 Corinthians. Jesus and his Spirit will feed me with the text, the profs will help me go deeper, and through prayer and refection and meditation and living and talking and getting stuck and unstuck - I will fill myself up with the word of God so that I can preach. I have to live with it first. I learn far more than I ever share. I learn from the best teachers (that I know) and when I'm full, I can preach Jesus with passion. But I cannot feed others until I am fed. I love what I do! I love to study God's word, Lord help me apply it to my own life first. I love to prepare to preach - to wrestle with the sermon manuscripts and the presentation. I love searching for illustrations and stories. I talk to others, learn from everyday events, search for multimedia on ignitor video and blue fish. Jeanie helps me so much with this whole process. So, I'm excited now and ready to begin my preparation. I've taught 2 Corinthians in Bible classes, but I've never preached through 2 Corinthians. God help me preach Jesus and bless me and the church as we learn from this series of teachings. Help me make it encouraging and uplifting and simple and practical and clear and strengthen our faith in Jesus so that we can build and maintain healthy relationships.

No comments: