Friday, December 21, 2007

An impression without an expression leads to depression

An impression without an expression leads to depression. Buried feelings don’t die, they struggle for life and come forth in uglier ways. Where did men ever get the idea that it’s not masculine to express emotion? I love the passion of King David. Read the Psalms and see for yourself. David express exuberance, deep sorrow, grief, anger, wrath, bewilderment, fear, triumph, elation, ecstasy, sorrow, grief, hopelessness, and remorse. One time David cried so much that he drenched his couch in tears. Paul expressed joy, contentment, despair, healthy pride, and exhaustion. And Jesus expressed joy, peace, righteous indignation, heartache and in agony he cried tears with loud cries and prayers and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Men, the next time you try to hold it in and stuff it, remember David, Paul and Jesus. Don’t suppress it, express it.

4 comments:

Christian Stray said...

Hey! Love this blog post! If I may ask, where did you get the inspiration of expression-impression-depression?
I google it, and found a book by Rick Warren "The Purpose Driven Life"; stating the same thing. Have you read the book, and if so, what changes in your life did you feel or how did your spiritual conditions differed from what you had before you read the book??
Thanks! From Kristiansand, Norway; Christian Stray

Unknown said...

I'll bet Rick Warren is the original source but I am not sure - I hear this phrase quoted often in counseling settings - I am a prof in the counseling program at MU - i'll bet Warren said it and it spread like wildfire and now many people - including those in academia are saying it - There's another statement in this post - "Buried feelings don’t die, they struggle for life and come forth in uglier ways." - not sure where that come from either - maybe Steven Covey - I don't know - I'll do a better job citing resources when I write blogposts in the future. This post is 4 years old.

Who are you? I click on your profile but it was inaccessible - Do you mind telling who are are?

Thank you,

Jeff

Christian Stray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christian Stray said...

Thank you for your answer! I actually realize that your post is four years old after I posted mine, but the message still is great.

My comment was to big, so I posted it on my blogg - my first blogg post actually.

The profile should be accessible now; I activated my account through google mail.

http://christianstray.blogspot.com/2010/12/impression-expression-depression.html