Sunday, November 11, 2007

Deer for Dinner

I killed a doe last Saturday. She walked about 15 yards in front of my tree stand. I drew my bow and shot her. The arrow pierced her heart. She ran about 50 yards and dropped. I could see her laying on the ground from my stand. I waited 20 minutes, climbed down, and approached her. When I kill a deer I always kneel and say a prayer of thanksgiving. I thank God for the thrill of the hunt and the meat. Deer are graceful. Strong. Wild. Agile. Fast. Beautiful. After my prayer and thanksgiving ceremony I field dressed her. The meat is now in my freezer. I'm going to share the meat with Ralph Larue, one of my shepherds. Ralph had a heart attached two months ago. He had to change his diet to fish and chicken but he ask me for some deer meat because deer meat is so lean. So I'm going to give him some deer tenderloin, steak and hamburger. I love deer meat. Last year I killed four deer and ate deer meat throughout the year. I had just ran out of deer meat when I shot her. But now I have some to eat and some to share. Surprisingly, I haven't seen many deer this year. The drought, lack of mast, and the late rut has left me wondering where they are hiding. I hope God gives me more success as this season continues.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

I live in the Hill Country of Texas.
I am a minister in a small country Church of Christ that averages 35 but when hunting season starts we get a lot of hunters from everywhere. I love veneson. Backstrap is my favorite. One time this one hunter come up to me and said, "Preacher that was a great sermon. I have something for you and your wife in the back of my pick up." So, I went over to his truck. He handed me an etire deer leg that had been skinned all I had to do is cut the meat. Well, I am a city boy. So, I had to call one of the men to show me how to cut it. Man we had the best Bar-B-Que Sandwiches out of that meat and stakes and stew and ground hamberger helper.
I'm not a hunter but I tell the hunter when they get to town I love deer meat. I get a good laugh.
Anyway, I loved your post brother. I have added your blog to my favorites and plan on reading more of your blog in the future. God bless you brother and hope you have a great week ahead!

bigwhitehat said...

I don't think folks that don't hunt can understand the spiritual side of it. You just have to do it to get it.

I too love the meat. It is my favorite. Right now, I'm on break at work. I have a chunk of summer sausage right here. Hot jalepeno if you want to know.

May God bless you and your freezer this season.