Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Deer #3

Sitting in a box blind at the edge of a field. It's dark. I load my rifle, a 30-30 Winchester which was a Christmas gift from my church. Smile. Pray. Check to make sure I have my sermon manuscript in my pocket - it's there. Still dark. Quiet. Sunrise. Life! Birds. Chip monks. Barking squirrels. A dozen noisy turkeys. I glass four does at two hundred yards. Waiting for a buck. More does - 15 deer grazing. No bucks. Waiting. Thermos. Coffee. Sermon. Rehearse silently. Whisper. Quoting Scripture. Memorizing. Underlining. Watching deer. No bucks - only does - all around. Waiting. Praying. Phone vibrates - text message from Darrell. Phone vibrates - phone call from Mike. Text message Kim. Watching. Only does. No bucks. Waiting. Memorize sermon. Repeating scripture over and over. Highlighting. No bucks. Only does. Eight hours later one doe bedded. 150 yards. Rifle. Rest. Aim. Breath. Exhale. Shoot. Kill. Death. Wait. Gather gear. Walk. Kneel. Pray. Thanksgiving. Field-dress. Drag. Drag. Drag. 3/4 mile drag. 2 1/2 hours later check-in station. 30 minutes later butcher. Steaks. Deer burger. Butterflied tenderloin. Jerky. Drive home. Rehearse sermon. Bed. Sleep. Dream of a big buck.

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Sounds wonderful.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :-)
Beautiful pictures.