Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Simple things add up

I’m in the office in my garage listening to Casting Crowns. “Who am I” is playing now. Worship. My heart swells. Gratitude. I feel really good right now. I jogged four miles and walked one. Still sweating. It’s after midnight and I’m not sleepy at all. Everybody else is asleep. I’m going to work on my sermon till I get sleepy. I’m studying Matthew 5:31-32. Marriage and divorce. It’s a difficult section of scripture. Sticky. Controversial. I quoted it over and over while I was jogging. I’ve read it a hundred times (literally). I’ve prayed for insight. I’ve done word studies in the original language. I’ve consulted my teachers (i.e., my commentaries). But the sermon manuscript is still not coming together for me. I hope God turns on my light bulb soon. I want I do a good job with this sermon so that it’s accurate, clear and practical. I hope that it encourages the married to stay married and that it gives hope to those who have been divorced. Simple things help me. A jog. Tucking in my kids. Massaging Kim's feet. A kiss goodnight. Listening to music. Worshipping in my garage. All these simple things add up and take me where I need to be. Now it's quite. Really quite. No music. No noice. Just a Bible. I'm ready to write.

1 comment:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I like the mix of things here. I'll be around.

If you get a chance drop by my blog, Stoned-Campbell Disciple.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
Milwaukee, WI
http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com/