Thursday, July 06, 2006

My intake of God’s word has quadrupled thanks to Text Aloud and my iPod

Thanks to TextAloud and my iPod my intake of God’s word has quadrupled. Here’s how I do it. It’s a two step process. First, I download 36 sermon podcasts a week from iTunes. I choose the ones I want to listen too and transfer them to my iPod. I burn the rest on CDs so that I can use them as resources in the future. My podcast sermon library is growing daily with great preachers and teachers like Swindol, Begg, Rogers, Zacharias, Piper, Stanley, etc. Second, Jeanie scans in chapters from commentaries. She has OCR software i.e., Optical character recognition which translates images of typewritten text into editable text. After Jeanie scans the chapters from the commentaries she copies them into Word and emails them too me as attached files. I then copy them from Word into TextAloud and my computer reads it using the AT&T Natural Voice of Mike. I set the reading speed to 257 words a minute. I don’t read very fast but I can listen at lightening speed. I save it as an MP3 file and transfer it to my iPod. During the past four days I have listened to 16 sermons. I’ve also listened to commentary book chapters on Matthew 5:27-32 from Dallas Willard, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and James Montgomery Boice, as well as three sermon manuscripts from Ligon Ducan, Rubel Shelly, and John MacArthur that I retrieved from internet websites. Where do I find time? I listen to my iPod while I walk on the beach, workout in the weight room, and at night as I lay in bed waiting to get sleepy enough to rest. I have a big appetite. I frequently copy books of the Bible from biblegateway.com, paste them into TextAloud, and transfer them to my iPod. I look forward to listening to the Bible, sermons and books using this technology. And it has not interfered with our vacation. I’ve had a lot of playtime with our kids and I have had lots of fun with Kim. This would be IMPOSSIBLE without TextAloud and my iPod.

No comments: