Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Comin' Home

This morning I’ve been playing an old Lynyrd Skynard song called “Comin’ Home.” No one is around so I sing and play it loud. I love that song. It makes me think of where I grew up – Boone County WV. I have so many wonderful memories of growing up there. Today is dad’s birthday. He died six years ago. I know he’s in heaven with Jesus and I will see him again but I miss him now. I would love to have one more conversation with him. I just got off the phone with mom and she is doing well in spite of her health problems. She lives two blocks from Jeanie and Jeanie sees her all the time. I get to work with Jeanie everyday. Dad would be happy that God saved my life and turned me around and that we are together. He would have never moved from Boone County but he would be happy that mom lives in Barboursville. Susan is doing well but she lives so far away. “Comin’ Home” makes me remember how good it was to grow up where I did. Some people make fun of WV but they don’t know the people who live here. If I could have chosen any place in the world to be born it would have been in that little white house on Six Mile. Godly parents. Wonderful sisters. Granny and Pa lived across the creek. I grew up with my cousins and friends in the mountains. When I got older I made new friends at Madison. I remember football, basketball, the Little Coal River Band, and Friday nights at the sands (up Lick Creek by the river). Great friends and a wonderful family. Things have changed but I can always visit. I can always take little mental trips and remember. That’s what I do when I sing Comin’ Home. I think I’ll play it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I watched a three-episode documentary called "Appalachains" on the weekend, and I was fascinated by this area. I am also from a mountainous area in China:) Berlin