Thursday, January 07, 2010

Wash me and I will be whiter than snow

Snow is just beginning to fall - again. Yesterday's snow covered the ground and now, weather.com is calling for several inches more. I am watching snow fall out my office window. It is beautiful. The ground is covered with white snow. It reminds me of God's forgiveness. I am thinking of two passages - Psalm 51 and Isaiah 1. After David's sin with Bathsheba he wrote Psalm 51:7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. Years later God spoke to Israel through the prophet Isaiah and said in Isaiah 1:16 wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, 17 learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. 1 Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. 18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. 19 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; 20 but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken. Today, by the grace of God, I want to stop doing wrong and learn to do right. But you have to help me Lord. I am powerless without you. Fill me with your Spirit! Make me. Move me. I am willing to be obedient and nothing in me (at this time) wants to resist you. Lord, my sins are like scarlet - they are red as crimson - wash me now - make me white as the snow falling outside my window. Lead me in your path forever - keep me white and pure and strong.

No comments: