Thursday, December 23, 2010

Invited to Bob Russell's Mentoring Ministers Retreat (Small Group of 8 ministers)

Something great just happened - I thank the Lord! I get to spend March 7-11 with Bob Russell and a small group of 8 other ministers. I applied for this last year and forgot about it until surprise! I got an email that said "

"Congratulations! Bob would like for you to attend his March 7-10, 2011 retreat. The retreat is conducted at Country Lake Christian Retreat Center in Henryville, Indiana, 30 minutes north of Louisville."

I am excited!

Bob Russell is one of my heros.

Several years ago I called Southeast and asked his secretary for an appointment. I thought if I could could sit with him, face to face, by myself, for just 15 minutes ... that would be great. I was surprised when said "Let's go to lunch" and the appointment lasted longer than 15 minutes. He rode in the car with me to restaurant. We talked one-on-one in a quiet booth for more than an hour. It was like eating lunch with Jesus. He asked probing questions, challenged me, answered my questions - it was amazing!

I included some pictures from Russell's Website below - I cannot wait to sit around that table with 8 men and Bob Russell. It's like It will be like having dinner with Billy Graham!

We will pick you up at the airport, provide all transportation during the retreat and take you back to the airport on Thursday. A typical retreat schedule is printed below. Bob requests that you schedule someone to preach on the weekend following the retreat so you won't be distracted during the retreat by pending sermon preparation."

Who is Bob Russell? I pasted part of his bio from his his website.

"Bob Russell enrolled in Cincinnati Bible Seminary where he graduated in 1965. At just twenty-two years of age, Bob became the pastor of Southeast Christian Church. Today that small congregation of 120 members has become one of the largest churches in America, with 18,000 people attending the four worship services every weekend in 2006. Bob retired from Southeast in June 2006.

Bob and his wife Judy have been married forty-five years, May 29, 2010. They have two married sons, Rusty and Phil. Phil is a Louisville Metro Police Officer and a deacon at Southeast Christian Church. Rusty recently became Senior Minister in Port Charlotte, Florida after serving at Southeast for many years. Bob and Judy have seven grandchildren with whom they enjoy spending their time.

An accomplished author, Bob has written over one-dozen books. He also has a weekly column in The Lookout, a magazine printed by Standard Publishing. In his leisure time he enjoys playing golf and is an avid University of Louisville football and basketball fan."

No comments: