Thursday, June 11, 2009

Easy and Effective Evangelism - Tell your story

My favorite style of evangelism is story telling. Jesus loved to tell stories called parables. It was Jesus' favorite style of teaching. Matthew said that "Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable" (Matthew 13:34). Now story telling is not the only style of evangelism. There are many different styles - Rick Warren identified six styles of evangelism. What follows is Warren's six styles with examples and theme verses. 1. Confrontational style (strong, stern preaching with warnings and rebuke) - Example – Peter’s sermon in Acts 2: 40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." Theme verse - 2 Tim. 4:2 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. I believe John MacAuthur (http://www.gty.org/) fits this style because he frequently warns and rebukes people with careful instruction. 2. Itellectual style (Apologetics) - Example - Paul with the philosophers in Athens - Acts 17: 18A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. … 19Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus,… - Theme verse - 2 Cor. 10:5 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. Paul's sermon on Mars Hill is a classic example of the intellectual style. I also think of Ravi Zacharias (http://www.rzim.org/). I have heard his lectures and debates via podcasts at prestigious universities - he is brillant and God is using him to reach thousands of unbelievers. 3. Missional style (“go and do” evangelism) -Example – Dorcas - Acts 9: 36In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor. Theme verse - Matt 5: 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Do you know who writes and promotes this style? My friend Fred Peatros (http://fredpeatross.blogspot.com/). Last spring I went to the Innovation3 a conference in Dallas and heard several presentations on being missional i.e. an externally focused "go-and-do-church". 4. Invitational style (“come and see” evangelism) - Example – Philip invited Nathanael - John 1: 46"Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked. "Come and see," said Philip. Theme verse - Luke 14: 23"Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 5. Relational style (friendship evangelism) - Example – Matthew’s party - Luke 5: 29Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. Theme verse - Luke 15: 1Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him. 2But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." 6. Testimonial style (story telling evangelism) - Example – The blind man Jesus healed - The blind man said in John 9:25 "One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" Theme verse - 1 John 1:3a 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us ... Now, all of these styles are important and needed. It is a mistake to promote one style and argue that it is the best and only way. God wants you to adopt the style that fits you. For me, I love the sixth style - testimonial. When testimonial is combined with missional (servant-evangelism) and relational (friendship styles). It fits who God made me to be and I love to use it. I think God wired me that way. I like to build friendships with unbelievers, and then, when the time is right I'll share my story. Waiting for the right time is essential. The Holy Spirit will prompt you when the time is right. When you feel His inner nudge share your story. Keep it short and sweet and by all means smile. Then change the subject. Don't pressure, don't condemn, just plant a little seed and wait to see God work. Focus on friendship and service before and after. If you visit Steve Sjogren's website (http://www.servantevangelism.com/main.cfm) or Jim Henderson's website (http://doableevangelism.com/) you will find great ideas on how to build friendships with people who don't know Christ. The best way to make friends is to be their servant. Then, after you build a high level of trust in your relationship - tell your story. Stop thinking that you can't share Christ. You can tell others what Jesus has done for you. It's simple. It's scriptural. And it's sucessfully (btw - those are the first three points to my sermon this Sunday). Jesus told his disciples to tell their story. After Jesus healed the man possessed by a legion of demons do you remember what happened? Mark 5: 18As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. 19Jesus did not let him, but said, "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you." 20So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed. I have told my story to thousands of people across the country and God has used it to give people hope. I get a little nervous before I tell them. I worry about what they will think of me when I tell them I am are recovering alcoholic. Will the reject me? Will they think I am bad? Will they stop being friends? So I have to fight through all those fears in order to get the courage to tell it. I don't know why I worry like that because I have never had anyone reject me when I tell my story. My story doesn't drive people away it draws people closer to Christ. My story was published in Wineskines Magazine a few years ago and this week it is posted on our churches website (http://www.norwayave.org/). This Sunday I am going to encourage our church to tell their story. There are so many stories that need to be told. Stories about how God helps people recover from grief and loss and divorce and physical illness and emotional problems. Your story demonstrates the love of God - don't keep it a secret. It's easy and effective evangelism. Share your story and watch God work.

No comments: