Monday, June 25, 2007

Loving an Imperfect Church - My study in 1 Corinthians

I just began a new series in 1 Corinthians called "Loving an Imperfect Church." I enjoy preparing for topical sermons but my favorite type of preaching is expository. When I work through a book I live in it longer. In my mind I have sailed into the Corinthian port, watched the ships being pulled over the Isthmus on the "haul across", I have made tents with Paul, spent time with Pricilla and Aquilla, listen to Paul preach and persuade people to believe that Jesus is the Christ. I've felt the opposition and rejection, watched him leave the synagogue in protest as he shook his clothes out and said "Your blood be on your own heads, from now on I'm going to the Gentiles." One night I heard Jesus say "Paul, don't leave, don't be afraid, I will protect. Stay and preach because I have many people in this city." I've seen the church grow strong. I've sit in their spontaneous and sometimes chaotic assemblies, I've listened to them prophesy, sing, speak in tongues, pray, commune, and love each other. The church become such a threat to the established Jewish religion that a united attacked was aimed at Paul. In my mind I witnessed Paul being accused before the Roman procouncil and watched Sosthenes get beat up. On and on I go imagining, envisioning what it must have been like for Paul. Paul is in Ephesus now but I'm going to stay in Corinth for the summer and learn all I can about how to love an imperfect church. I'm posting my sermons at http://sermonsbyjeffgarrett.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And Paul said...what did he say?"

DallasFan said...

Jeff,

I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work. I am currently deployed to Iraq and wanted you to know that your sermons are one of the several that I download and listen to. I have heard you mention several times in your sermons about downloading other sermons. Maybe you could have an entry on the blogs that you visit.

Blessings.

MWC